Monday, July 25, 2011

Inn of the Seventh Ray...Worth a Drive Any Day

The entrance to this lovely little place tucked away in the woods (during the day).

After having dinner at this magical restaurant over five years ago with three of my (then) single friends we all exclaimed, "I'm coming back here when I'm in love"! Not that you have to be in order to come here...but it's definitely romantic.

Well, I've been in love for several years now...my husband and I FINALLY made our way to share this experience together.
A toast to our arrival

We were lucky enough to nab the seats next to the fountain

From what our waitress told us there have been a few chefs to pass through in the last few years...lots of menu changes. Whatever they've done...it was a huge improvement. This time around I was not only blown away by our surroundings and the overall feeling that you get from visiting this hideaway...but I truly enjoyed the food.
Pretty statues like this are found all around the courtyard...a very Zen feeling
Even the menus are pretty!
We started with the Crispy Jaime Farms Squash Blossom with Goat Cheese, Balsamic, Smoked Sea Salt, and Espelette (chili pepper). I probably wouldn't need to order it again although it was very creative...we actually ate flowers!

Along with the blossoms came our Beef Tartare (65° Egg, Soy Mustard, Paprika Remoulade, Capers, Espellete Coated Fingerling Potatoes and Crispy Toast).

Now this was my very favorite dish of the evening! Beef tartare is not for everyone...but if you like it...you HAVE to try this one. Since Saturday I have found myself thinking about it randomly and salivating.
Above left...squash blossoms...lower right...a beautiful presentation of beef tartare, toast, egg yolk, and potatoes...gorgeous!

I'm not a person who orders chicken when I go out to eat...but something about reading "Chicken Breast with Achiote Essence (Soft Polenta Crème Fraîche, Spring Pea tendrils, Turnips, Roast Beets, Ramps, Pimento Granulate and Himalayan Rock Salt)" made me interested in this version. Fortunately for me the waitress urged me to go with those instincts. It was tender, flavorful, and one of the more interesting chicken dishes I've had.
The polenta, beets and rock salt really added to the unique flavor
 Tommy ordered the Crab Angel Hair Arrabiatta with Blue Crab, Trio of Basil, Tomatoes, Chili flake and Zoe Extra Virgin Olive Oil...which was fabulous.
Lots of blue crab and excellent flavor


If you happen to live near Los Angeles...or plan on visiting...this is a destination that should be added to your "list". There is no other place like it...at least in Southern California. A gorgeous restaurant covered in lights, with amazing food, all tucked away in the middle of the woods. Ahhh-mazing.

Such a pretty setting we could stay all night


Above the main seating area


Another beautiful statue


A truly gorgeous place

The front entrance...in lights

Pretty drive home down PCH


No comments:

Post a Comment