Monday, July 11, 2011

MB Post...hand-delivering AWESOME food


Our first visit to this in demand Manhattan Beach establishment was...to say the very least...long-awaited. The minute that I heard about the opening of David LeFevre's first solo venture I was intrigued. Chef David comes from Water Grill which is Michelin starred...sort of a rarity in Los Angeles...at least in South bay. Aside from Darren's (one of my all-time fav restaurants here) this would be one of the only top chef endeavors in the neighborhood.

Needless to say...many others must have been equally intrigued...we couldn't get a reservation on a Saturday night without at least two weeks notice. On my fifth attempt I was able to predict my schedule only seven days in advance...so we went for dinner at 6:15pm (the ONLY opening). Wow...this better be good :)

Our entire experience did not disappoint. Not one bit.

The building that this hideaway is located in was once a post office...hence the name...and theme. Keeping with the whole post office idea we were handed a cute little envelope with my name on it...containing our menus which were folded in like letters...such a nice touch. Details details.


The cocktails are hand-crafted by a true artist. I opted for the "Old George" which is a salty dog with chopin, grapefruit, basil, and raspberry pepper jam. Phenomenal. Very fresh and perfect for summer!

"Old George" with typed and hand-written menu in the forefront

My husband broke tradition from his regular martini in a tumbler glass and went for a white wine...pinot grigio called Scarpetta. Fresh, light, and only $40 a bottle. Wonderful choice if you want to try several plates and never feel weighed-down. I joined him after my first cocktail.
Bottle of Scarpetta next to another nice touch...candles in mason jars on each table
It's fair to say that I do my research before hitting any new eatery. I check pictures, read reviews and blogs, see what "Yelpers" have to say...you name it. After finishing my studies on MB Post it was clear that you really cannot go wrong...on anything. There were however some stand-outs that seemed to be on the "Dean's List".

First...we just had to start with the ever-so-notable Bacon Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits with Maple Butter. They taste as wonderful as they sound...divine. Along with that first plate we devoured the Roasted Brussel Sprouts with emmental (a cheese from Switzerland), hazelnuts and sage. Again...superb.
   Bacon Cheddar Biscuits and Roasted Brussel Sprouts



 Our waitress was friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable about everything on the menu. She informed us that all of the food is artisanal, seasonal, and local...sounds great to me! When I recited a short list of options that we were considering she suggested that we stick to our main three:
1) Steamed Mussels with green curry, vietnamese sausage, and coriander rice (the sausage combined with the mussels is mind-blowing!)
Tommy enjoying the steamed mussels in green curry
2) Softshell Blue Crab with singapore chili sauce and apple coriander puree. The blend of flavors here was so unique...and perfect
Beauty of a crab!

3) Crispy Potato Gnocchi with lamb neck, summer squash,  and bianco sardo (a hard, Italian cheese). I've never tasted lamb neck before...I'm not even a huge fan of lamb...but this dish is phenomenal. Chef David really knows what he's doing with this crispy gnocchi deal.
Crispy Gnocchi with large slices of bianco sardo...thank you David LeFevre!!
Though I want to return (very soon) and re-order this entire list...I won't allow myself. Return? A resounding "YES"!...repeat dishes? No way...well...maybe a FEW dishes. We'll be adventurous until we've tried it all...and I know that we won't regret it.

Sadly we only had room for these ambrosial plates...no dessert. We will be back with friends though...and will conquer much more of this delightful carte du jour! To be continued...
A final toast...rather a swirl...to the chef :)

Right outside the MB Post front door...our walk home




















No comments:

Post a Comment