Thursday, June 23, 2011

A San Francisco Treat


A fun little fact that I learned during the short time that I lived in San Fran last year...the people there LOVE egg whites in their cocktails. They also enjoy things like absinthe, bitters, french vermouth, and even egg yolks (really?) in their concoctions. There's no better place to explore this oddly intriguing kind of libation than at 15 Romolo in North Beach.
Walking through North Beach/Telegraph Hill

While living in that gluttonous city I discovered all kinds of fascinating restaurants and bars...but I was missing something...someone to enjoy it with...my partner in crime. My husband (who was my fiance at the time) was back at home while I was walking every inch of SF and taking copious amounts of notes in my spare time. The notes were of all of the places we would visit together when he was able to fly over. After all...how great can an experience really be without the one that you love?
My love has arrived...finally!
By the time he came to visit I had a long list of pizza joints, watering holes, and little hideaways for us to hit...one of the top places on my list was 15 Romolo.

Usually referred to as a "modern speakeasy", they specialize in artisanal cocktails. There is nothing but solid execution going on here. The "Track 42" AKA "The Frothy One with the Leaf on Top"- (manuka honey vodka, apple juice, lemon topped with egg white and a basil leaf) is something I only wish I had the skills to recreate.

The food that they dish up is just as appealing...maybe even better. Between the tempura fried avocados, the peanut butter and bacon burger, and the Nutella pancake ballz with brown butter ice cream and snookie dust...you just cannot go wrong. Ever. This place is an experience that's unique, inventive, decadent and entertaining.

When the day arrived that we would be sightseers and explore all that San Francisco had to offer, we walked the entire city...well, at least it felt like it. We started in Union Square and walked to Nob Hill (where my house was located) and covered Lombard Street, Ghirardelli Square, Fisherman's Wharf, Coit Tower and then headed through North Beach to ultimately find 15 Romolo...the final reward.

Quick stop to Nob Hill for a drink on my rooftop. Wearing my "Love SF" shirt in SF...what a shameless tourist :)

We were the perfect tourists during our mission...well at least I was...snapping photos of every landmark, statue, and graffiti-covered building that we passed during our journey. It was exhilarating and exhausting at the same time.
One of my favorite things about walking SF...gorgeous graffiti everywhere

Only one trolley ride was taken the whole day...and we were parched. I mean REALLY thirsty.  Visions of basil leaves floating atop apple juice and vodka were dancing through my head. Of course we planned to hydrate with water first...and wouldn't think of skipping lunch or dessert.

As we walked through town and approached The Basque Hotel on Romolo St. I began to feel a fever of excitement. Not because of the strip club located at the front of the building...though I have to admit the man at the door did make quite a case for us to come and see the beauties that they were showcasing in the middle of the afternoon. As enticing as that may sound...that's not what the flutter was about. It was all for this little gem located down the alley in the back of the building.
I made Tommy pose in front of this sign...even though he felt like a pervert
Further up the alley...are we there yet?

We snapped a few pictures of the alley walls as we walked up a 179 degree grade hill to find the front door. The excitement was building with every step. We're getting closer and closer...wait...let me catch my breath...we're almost there....yes! we made it!...and the sign says..."Closed". What? This can't be!

But it was. Sadly, we had arrived around 4pm and the bar didn't open until five. With nowhere to go to waste that hour we walked back to where we started...good old Union Square...and grabbed something that was undoubtedly awesome (as I believe every dish might be in SF)...although I can't recall what.

We find solace in the fact that we will be back to that great city...and when we do return...we will hit the ground running for Romolo. They've been there since 1998 so I'm pretty sure they're here to stay.

They do say it's about the journey...not the destination...right?
Our very short trolley ride

No comments:

Post a Comment